Monday 21 July 2014

I've always loved reading. I used to be able to read whole books in a day, (nothing too complicated!). Whilst I don't get time for that often now I still love to read a variety of books. And now the boys are really getting to the age where they are appreciating being read to. I think it is one of my favourite things. J is still eating books a little and we do have some rips, and although I encourage care of books
I suspect that this is a part of the rough and tumble of two boys the same age, both of who want to explore together.

I love it when we read together. We read to the boys at bedtime whilst they have their milk, and always read two books. One can be whatever we have at the moment, often a library book, and the other is always "It's time to sleep" as I find it such a lovely story, and it's a good routine for us. We can recite it pretty much from rote now.

One of our library books this week is "Hurry up and Slow down" by Layn Marlow, based on the Aesop Fable the Hare and the Tortoise. I love the story and how it's all about slowing down, and enjoying that precious time of connection reading can bring.

Now it's the holidays there are less things on round and about, so I'm also testing doing some activities around the books we are reading. Today we have been painting with potato stamps that I cut in the shape of a rabbit/hare and a tortoise. It was quick and simple to set up and the boys had fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment