Saturday 28 June 2014

Worrying about how it will go, doesn't get the packing done.

When I'm getting ready for a trip, sometimes now it feels like there is an endless list of things to prepare. Practically, this is OK - I love making a list (and often a spreadsheet if there is a big enough project involved).

I like to know that I have all I need for the trip to be a success. Often I find that my own expectations of being prepared can get in the way of the lead up for the big event. It can be a fine line between being prepared, and being stressed and worried that you have everything, exactly everything, that you will need for the duration of the trip.

In this stage, I often forget to love the now and just focus on what could go wrong. I think it's good to be prepared, but not so it stops your enjoyment of today, and reduces that sense of magically anticipation of what is coming. 

I need help at this. I need help at letting the worry go. At focusing on the fact trips in the past have been a success. That even when they haven't been, it has still been OK. We've managed it. Most things these days can be bought at a later point. It helps to have someone who recognises this behaviour in you and who says, "Stop. Slow down, Breathe". Come back to the action later, take some time out and regroup. Basically, let go of the worry. It doesn't help you pack better or faster!

No comments:

Post a Comment