Friday 27 June 2014

Take time to transition

Today I set up for some painting for the boys. I was all ready. We had paint, we had wipes (essential!), we had brushes, we had bubble-wrap for making shapes. 

We had a lovely time painting. At the end, when I thought we were done, one was happy to finish and take his painting overall off. One, not so happy - in fact a full crying fit until we went next door to the living room and calmed down. I hadn't transitioned from one thing to another with enough intention - I was too focused on finishing off and not on how he may feel that the fun was ended. 

I did this again later in the day. On a Friday we need to lunch and then get out of the door to go to nursery. Usually, the boys end up napping before lunch which means I then have to wake them, give them lunch straight away and then basically get them ready to go. Again, one wide awake and ready for lunch. One was happily sleeping and turned over. I hadn't allowed a transition time. 


When I make space between activities, it usually feels better for all of us. A smooth transition for me is enough time. There is a plan of how we move from here to there. It is calm. 

I create space to transition peacefully.
I know what comes next.
I am filled with confidence.
All will be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment