Saturday 28 June 2014

Meditate on joy (or, how to enjoy getting ready for a trip with twins)

As I said, sometimes worry can get in the way of anticipating a much longed trip. Especially when you have twin boys and they are still in the buggy and you want everything to be just right.

Phew. Just right is a big expectation on yourself.

This morning I have been thinking about the balance to the practical side I talked about yesterday. I'm actually pretty great at the practical side, even though I worry I forgot something, or it won't be like I thought, or... (insert your own worry about your trip here).

Here is my list of non practical things to do to look forwards to your trip away:

Breathe. 
Get out of your head and into your body, slow things down and take a break from getting ready, even if it's just for a moment.

Ask yourself "What is essential?"
List all the things you have to take. Make sure you have room for those. For us at the moment that includes familiar things which will help keep the sense of routine going in a new environment. It includes lots of snacks. It includes more changes of clothes for the boys than number of days we are away for!

Ask yourself "What will make this easier?"
This may be asking for some help. Or doing your research in advance to make your trip easier when it is happening. Such as, what is the access like for a buggy? Are there high chairs available? Where is the closest small food shop?

Remind yourself of past successes
You've got this. You really do. Look at all the times trips went well in the past. And even if they were stressful or didn't go exactly to plan, I bet you handled it just fine.

Meditate on joy
Focus on the positive emotions you want to feel and display. Get out of your own way and create a space for you to enjoy both what is coming and what is here now. How can you make preparation more fun? What will it take to ease yourself gently into the trip?

Slow down
Sometimes it feel like the faster you move or the more stressed you feel, that must magically help things get done. It doesn't. Even if you physically have to move fast (for instance because you are on a deadline), try to slow down your breathing and remember you're nearly there.

Some trip mantras:
I slow down to enjoy the magic of preparing for this trip
I breathe and let go of all my worries. We have all the essentials we need.
All will be well.
I focus on a trip of ease and pleasure.
I slow down to connect with the people I share my trip with.



No comments:

Post a Comment