Friday 27 June 2014

Slow down, listen and observe

Yesterday I went to a talk on language development in the 0-3 age range. One of the most important facts I took away is how our relationship with our children is the foundation to language. What we hear is just the tip of the iceberg. Slow it down, mama. Apparently it can take up to 8-10 seconds for a little one to process what you say to them. How often do we stop, breathe, and leave that gap? 
As a first time Mummy, I suspect it's more true that I need to fill in the gaps. To prompt conversation. 

It feels like a transformation, if I can just remember it. Eye to eye, listening to what is said, seeing the magic of learning happening in front of my eyes. 

I think this could be a more connected way. I'm excited to try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment